Tuesday, May 15, 2007

I Just Wanna Bang on the Drum All Day


It's official. On Sunday afternoon I graduated from college. I'd say "What a strange experience" or something sentimental like that, but honestly it felt natural. My uncle came down with my parents and we had a blast. The weather was perfect and the Guinness flowed like water. Last Wednesday I began interviews. I found my way up to Norristown and aced an uneventful and disappointing interview. That evening though, they invited me back for a second round the next day - a sort of "day in the life" experience. Again I trecked a couple of hours via train and bus to the suburbs. Long story short: I found myself an hour into Delaware selling pizza discounts door to door. I kid you not. That's what my writing gets me with a "direct marketing job". Needless to say, an hour into it I told him that I wouldn't be working for him. It was a frustrating and sobering experience because the guy I had the interview with directly lied to me about what I'd be doing so that he could get me there.

In unrelated news, I'm really trying to stomach this new Wilco record. The first times I listened to it I was completely disappointed - angry at Tweedy for making such a half-assed effort. Now though, some of it is growing on me. I also picked up the new Dinosaur Jr. record, Beyond. Now that is some stellar music. Mascis still rocks harder than Slayer. Speaking of metal bands, Venom was in my dream last night. They played La Salle's Dunleavy room. I just remember Erich and Lou being really excited for some black metal. Anyways, Dinosaur are not metal, they just bring me back to 1984. Well, they bring me back to 1984 the way a weekend with Jeff Doug brings me back to 1969.

Speaking of Jeff, he's coming down Thursday for a few days - namely the inappropriately confusing lineup of Mastodon, Against Me!, Cursive and TAAS on Friday night. Either way, it will be a trip.

If you dig stuff along the lines of Isis, Pelican, or My Bloody Valentine, there's a terrific "project" called Jesu, which recently released a new record, Conqueror. You can stream it at http://www.jesuconqueror.com/

I also shut down my old "lastfm" page because I'm very computer illiterate, and opened up a new one. Add me if you still keep one up. http://www.last.fm/user/whiteriot13/

And one last thing...come on Buffalo! You were my Cup picks. Regardless, Chris Drury and Daniel Brière remain hockey gods.

No comments: