Friday, May 02, 2008

IN RETURN



I've been thinking a lot about Florida's Torche lately. Since I first heard them I've been absolutely hooked and they remain one of the heaviest live bands I've ever seen.

In the Spring of 2006 I went to see Mogwai at the Starlight Ballroom in Philly and was absolutely blown away by the volume and heaviness of the opening band, Torche. I knew the name, as they had opened up for Paint It Black a couple of years prior at the Church, but I had missed them then. I know the drugs had something to do with it, but I just couldn't get over their sound that night at the Starlight. Since then I've seen them once more, opening for Isis at the TLA.

The idea of intense riffs mixed with a slight pop sound is so simple and incredible that I wonder why it wasn't capitalized on earlier. Sabbath and QotSA might have flirted with it, but Sabbath relied more on songwriting than just riffs and Torche is a HUGE riff band.

Also, check out this awesome packaging courtesy of Robotic Empire.


I recommend: "In Return" and a six-pack.

No comments: