Monday, April 30, 2007

The Break-Up

Friday I hiked around the city getting tickets for the last shows of two of my favorite bands: Kill Your Idols and Boy Sets Fire. BSF at the Troc is going to be a blast. It's been so long since I've seen them or anything, but I remember in high school when I borrowed J Ro's copy of "The Day the Sun Went Out"; I immediately copied it onto a cassette and listened to it over and over and over again for years. That was probably the first record that you could be angry and intense while maintaining a good deal of sensitivity. I remember going out and buying "After the Eulogy" not long after that and, even though it wasn't as "essential" to my youth, it still made an impression on me and I played the shit out of it. I feel like a lot of people are going to cry at this show. That will be entertaining, but I can't blame people for letting that band mean so much to them.

Saturday afternoon saw the final Philadelphia show for KYI. I've been really stoked/bummed on this show for awhile. I have never, since the 10th grade, missed a KYI show. Well, I missed one but it wasn't my fault. The last time they played was at the 7 Seconds show two years ago. I remember the show was almost canceled because of some lame fight involving FSU and a Champion roadie. We all waited in the cramped Church basement for over 1 1/2 hours until the decision was made to carry on. I was right up front and KYI walked on and made those 1 1/2 miserable hours completely worth while. Always been too punk for a lot of hardcore kids and too hardcore for most punk kids. Consequently, there shows have always been full of kids who listen to classic American hardcore. All hell broke loose that night, and in measuring it up to that, Saturday was kind of disappointing. There were so many people there but everyone just stood in the back. It was so fucking stupid. The last time they headlined in Philly there were about 30 kids there and we all went off because we all wanted to be there so badly. It was so obvious so early on this weekend that people were there so that they can say they were at KYI's last Philly show. Lame. I'd say about 15 of us consistently went off, but I was hoping for a lot more. Bad Brains and Jawbreaker covers rule though. Where was the Negative Approach!? Hopefully I can make it to there show in Jersey this weekend.

PS - I just heard that the Explosion are splitting too. Fuuucccckkkkkk...
PSS - Go Sox. Gregg, your Yankees suck.



Playlist
Pixies - Bossanova
Tom Waits

No comments: